You’re looking to buy a new sofa to replace your loved, worn out, and outdated one that’s sitting in your family room. You’ll want something that will last, but you also want to be sure that it’ll bring new life to an old room. In this post, we will discuss just how to do it!
The first thing to remember when designing a room is to pinpoint your personal aesthetic. What kind of colors, or design elements are you trying to pull out from this room? For example, if you like contemporary decor, there are a number of different elements that you’ll need to consider. Try and decide on a theme before buying any sort of furniture or wallpaper. Once you grasp that, the rest will come easy. Another thing to remember when designing a room is to embrace what you already know and love. Think about the room you’re adding to. You love the sofa that you’ve had since you and your husband got married, it was the first big purchase you made together, but you don’t want to get rid of it to add something new. Just because you have something that’s old doesn’t mean you need to ditch it in order to update your room. Look at that sofa and try to determine what your room needs. Could you improve your space by adding an exciting chair? What about some complementary accents to bring some life back in the room? Something else to remember is to not be afraid of your creativity. It is totally okay to mix old and new together! Another easy something that you could do is to select a statement piece in your room. So you love your old couch, awesome! Then choose to design around it and make it the star of your room!
Here are some other tips that will help you bring in something new or to refresh an old room:
- Tell A Color Story
- Telling a color story helps make the room look more focused and cohesive. Say that you have an orange arm-chair, decorate in shades of orange. Tell the world what you’re passionate about
- MIx Different Time Periods
- If you have a room full of vintage pieces throw in something more contemporary! It will help bring something new to an old looking room
- It’s important to remember that a well-decorated room should look like it has been assembled over time
- Be Spontaneous
- Add boldness to your room by making a choice that you normally wouldn’t. Go for a brighter color or pattern, maybe even a style that might be outside of what you’re used to
There’s more to refreshing a room than you might think. There are some other important things that you need to consider before you purchase a new piece of furniture.
- Consider the Location
- Try to pick an empty spot, or a place that’s not super crowded. You want your new piece to either stand out or match what you already have
- Think About Your Statement Piece
- Do you already own a statement piece or are you looking for one
- Have a Design Plan
- This ties everything in, location, statement, and style. Unless you plan on being completely spontaneous, you should have a plan for what you want to do. You don’t want to get home and change your mind about the piece that you selected, you want to be satisfied with your choice. So it is really important to know what you’re looking for.
Finally, to wrap things up, here are some important Interior Design Lessons that Everyone Should Know:
- Think of functionality, what’s the purpose of the furniture you’re buying?
- Don’t hesitate to spend big on seating, you want to make sure you’re comfortable and also anyone else who will be in your home
- Decorate! Add something more than just furniture to a room
- Think pillows, pictures, plants, and other decorative pieces that will bring some life into a room
- Remember that black adds a sense of depth to a room, consider utilizing some in the marginal areas throughout your room
- Showcase your personality, let your guests know what you’re like
- Think about the look of the room you’re designing
- If you’re going vintage, try to learn all you can about that style and how to pull it off successfully.
- Look for a new perspective
- Not sure if you like a bookcase on a certain wall? Get your camera out and snap a before and after shot to see if you like it or not. Taking before and after shots can help you find new angles and see things in a different light.
- Use an online room planner tool
- There are a lot of really great room planners online that can help you visualize your room before you make any purchasing decisions, hang up décor or move furniture around. One tool that we love is roomstyler.com. It allows you to create a 3D room with thousands of 3D models of furniture, décor and architectural elements using an easy-to-use interface. You can then use its virtual camera to take photos of your design from any angle. If you’re looking for a more straightforward room planner, or looking to purchase furniture from Great American Home Store, check out our 2D room planner that will let you create 2D floor plans and drag in actual dimensions from products you’re considering to see how they will fit in the room.
We hope that these tips will help when you select a new piece of furniture for your home! One of the best ways to show your personality when purchasing furniture is to go custom, and The Great American Home Store has many options available to help you do that. Great American offers custom selections from Basset, Jonathan Louis, Mayo, and more! View our website to learn more about custom ordering.