Did you know that the PANTONE® Color Institute released an entire color palette for Fall/Winter 2016? While many of the shades are punchy jewel tones, there are a few more neutral exceptions: Warm Taupe, Dusty Cedar, and the star of today’s blog, Sharkskin.
“The desire for tranquility, strength, and optimism has inspired the Fall 2016 color palette,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of PANTONE. “[Sharkskin] is pair-able with almost any fall color – bright or muted – and showcases practicality through a dependable but contemporary lens.”
In today’s blog, we’re sharing some inspiration photos to help you incorporate this beautiful gray into your decor. It does look great with nearly any color, and that’s one of the reasons why this shade works so well in the home. The options are endless! It would even look great on the outside of your home, just look at getting M&M Home Exteriors to install some siding and paint it grey .. sorted! There are so many items in your home you can choose to pair this color with too, from the sofa to any of the kitchen utensils. Anywhere in the home it would look great! Whatever you decide, its best to ensure that all of your household items get covered in the process too – so in case anything were to happen to the items in your home that you’ve worked so hard on to match this particular shade of grey, at least you know you’re covered and you can easily replace them. This way your home won’t lose its style! Knowing which things that are covered under different insurance policies can help you find the right cover you need. With that out of the way, here are some of the many ways you can take advantage of this Sharkskin Gray color in your home –
1) You can choose to keep Sharkskin the main focus by pairing it with white, cream, or beige. In the example above, this comfy neutral space comes alive with a textured herringbone-inspired accent wall and greenery for a pop of color. Sharkskin also appears in the accent pillows, tabletop and rug.
2) In this gorgeous room, the walls and sofa are decked out in gray. To maintain a light and airy quality, bright white was added in the artwork, pillows, rug, lamps and curtains. (The gold accents are another luxurious touch.)
3) To recreate the serene bedroom design above, try a Sharkskin-colored nightstand and lampshade. The patterned bedspread and muted purple accents make for a peaceful end-of-day haven.
4) Above is another example of a neutral space with textured walls. Shiplap (or panel) accent walls are a great way to add more visual interest.
5) For bright color lovers who don’t want a long-term commitment, start with neutral “bones” and use easily changeable accessories to introduce your vivid shade of the moment. In the example above, the rich red throw blanket and pillows are the first things you notice when looking at the room as a whole. They make a dramatic statement! However, if you aren’t feeling the red a couple months from now, you have the freedom to switch it out on the cheap.
6) Sharkskin doesn’t only look good with traditional “fall and winter” colors! Here, it’s been paired with a fun teal that makes this stately gray sectional look more easygoing.
Inspired yet? We definitely are! Check out our favorite Sharkskin pieces for a winter home makeover you’ll love:
- Corinthian 97B Fairly Stone Ottoman
- JGW Accent Chair
- Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines French Inspired Short Pie Crust Table
- Corinthian Loxley Charcoal Sectional
- Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines Modern Upholstered Bed w/ Wingback Headboard
- Vaughan Bassett French Market Traditional Poster Bed
- La-Z-Boy Rowan Granite Recliner with Arc Handle
- Surya Shimmer Rug
- Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines Tailored Tuxedo-Style Sofa w/ Velvet Fabric
- Rachael Ray Home Modern Metal Cocktail Ottoman
For even MORE inspiration, be sure to follow our coordinating Pinterest board. We’re always on the hunt for great home decor ideas so we can share them with you.